Friday, April 18, 2008

I never want to forget...

Last week, Adam had to head back to Fort Stewart in Hinesville. I decided Charlotte and I needed a break from the painting, disaster and mayhem that has become our new home and we headed up to Hampton (luckily, it's a super-easy drive from Columbus). Noni came with, we met Indigo Photographers in the square in McDonough. Charlotte was feeling 'skunky' and not up to her usual cheery-cheesy self so I didn't think she gave them much to work with but apparently they don't need much! They took some fantastic shots! I'm just so thrilled (see post below). Again, I highly recommend.

We had a nice dinner with Noni & Popi in Hampton. The next day, Popi & I took Charlotte and we headed for Tennessee in visit Grandma & Pa for a couple of days.

Charlotte was an angel the whole 5 hour trip to Crossville, we hardly heard a peep out of her, so engrossed was she in Baby Einstein and Teletubbies. Only a mother would brag on her child's ability to watch television for extended periods but what an attention span that child has got!

She was thrilled, however, when we finally arrived and she was unleashed from the car. She warmed to Grandma immediately...Pa she wasn't so sure about! But he sure tried...

Grandma & Pa have an old dog, Dolly, that's maybe a mix between a dachshund and a golden retriever? I don't know, but that should give you an idea as to what it looks like. Well, Charlotte was taken with Dolly who spends all her time plopped down on the floor. Charlotte wanted nothing more than to ride that dog. We showed Charlotte how to be gentle and not to sit on Dolly, but to pet her and rub her belly but I kind of knew it was only a matter of time. Sure enough, as soon as I got on the phone with Adam that evening and she scooted out from under Popi's nose, she tried to ride Dolly and got nipped. Her first, and better be her last, dog bite. It still didn't discourage her. The next morning when she saw Dolly she took her pointer finger out and pointed right at Dolly and squinted her eyes. It's what she does when Moses and Eloise are in trouble and I'm telling them "no! stop barking!" she points her finger at them. But, apparently, she forgave the dog and wanted to pet her again. Dolly spent the remainder of our visit OUTSIDE. Which didn't really help because Charlotte wanted to spend all of her time outside too.

Grandma has bunches of ceramic pretties all over the house and fancy curtains. Charlotte wanted all of the pretties and for 2 days went under and out the curtains. She also played lots of peek-a-boo in the closet. She found a football that was so old, I think it belonged to Ginger (best dog ever, 3 dogs ago) that she carried around and played with. The only toy we brought with us was a pull along toy phone.

It was a great visit. I'm so glad Popi was able to come along with us! He made the trip, we had a great time together. We stopped at Cracker Barrel coming and going, and Charlotte was a big fan of the vegetable plate, especially the corn and the mac & cheese.

We beat Adam to Columbus last Friday. Charty and I were getting ready to sit down and have some sushi when I heard Adam tiptoe in. Charlotte was playing across the kitchen from where he entered. He called her name and she turned around. As soon as she saw her daddy was home she ran at him fully speed as fast as her little Puddle Jumper sandals could carry her into his arms for a BIG BIG hug! I didn't think she was ever going to let go and give me a turn! Charlotte would hug his neck, stop and look at him, then hug his neck again. I got all choked up. It was a moment I never want to forget.

Sunday we made a day trip up to see Noni & Popi and Gigi. It's great being so much closer to family. I can't believe Charlotte hasn't been to Rome yet...I can't wait for her to see all the horses when she goes to visit her PJ and Kiki!

1 comment:

Noni - Popi said...

Boy, I'm a little behind reading the blog. That was so sweet talking about how Charlotte couldn't get enough of Adam when he got home, hugging him. I can just picture it.

Keep 'em coming!