Wednesday, March 5, 2008

14 months is so much fun!

We've found another house, we're under contract again - home inspection was done yesterday, all is well! This house is also on the park, just on the other side of the park and it's bigger. We close March 20. We'll be moving on in three weeks. Man, we're going to miss Savannah. Especially this time of year, Savannah is really a beautiful city. All of the azaleas are in bloom - the weather is fantastic. Now that we've got a house in Columbus and can stop worrying about that, we can just enjoy these last few weeks here. I cannot walk around Savannah without marveling at how beautiful a city it is and how lucky everyone that lives here is...




OH, 14 months is fun! I mean, I know all moms say 'I love this age' well, I don't...I have certainly not said that about every age thus far. 4 months, tough, 7 months, hard, 12 months, exhausting, 14 months, great (and every month in between there pretty good as well). But this really is a fun age. She's walking, so she's much more independent and I can communicate with her, and we know how to make her laugh (so cute) and she's funny and does the most precious little things!



We took Charlotte and went to Tybee over the weekend. It was beautiful in the city, nice and warm but it was freezing out on the beach! Charlotte got to spend all of 5 minutes out there but loved it! She was so tickled to be in the sand. Hopefully, it will be warm enough to take her back before we move.




She had her vaccines last week. I started reading about an alternative vaccination schedule a smidgen too late but I did talk to her pediatrician about it. I'm just a little weary of overburdening her with too much at once. It was her 12 month and we only did 2 vaccines. Alternative schedule is kind of just stretching them out over a longer period and never giving more than 2 at one time. With all the controversy surrounding autism and vaccines, just to ease my conscious, if for nothing else, we're going to go with a more alternative approach.





It was awful. Charlotte was terrified. I know that her hospitalization in December has left her traumatized. She's 25 pounds, 30.5" - her length has finally caught up with her weight, she's in the 90th percentile for both and for head circumference. Charlotte is pretty proficient with her 'no's and her 'yes's (she shakes and nods) and she kept telling the doctor 'no'. When he asked if she wanted a book she nodded 'yes' and when he said, 'I'm going to leave now, bye bye Charlotte' she nodded, 'yes' and waved bye bye. She also used a good bit of her sign language while we were there (he was impressed) and surprised too, when she started the very obvious sign for 'nurse mommy' and when I ignored her request started trying to pull my shirt up. Suprised because I guess it's rare to find a mommy still nursing at 14 months? He said, 'oh, you're still nursing?!? Oh...I mean, that's wonderful! Good for you! How long do you plan on doing that?' He's a doctor, for the love of grapefruit! It's natures most perfect food and it's stock full of goodness, and Charlotte loves to nurse and it's keeping me in size 2's. But, you know, a bit unconventional in this country - which to me is sad.





Charlotte's sign language has suddenly taken off! She knows:



  • more

  • please

  • dog biscuit

  • drink

  • candy

  • bath

  • all finished

  • open

  • help

  • nurse mommy

  • ball

Oh, it's just the cutest! And it's so much fun...

Charlotte loves Moses & Eloise. We wake up in the morning and she rubs her little eyes and stretches. I'll say, 'Charlotte, where's Mo Ellie?' and she scrambles up, with a great big smile on her face, turns around and slides off the bed to go let them out of their crate. They're about to pop from all of the dog biscuits and have started refusing Charlotte's generosity. So, the other day, I caught her sitting in their dog bed, munching on a biscuit.


I think the only words she says on a regular basis are: Mama, Dada, Mo, open (o-en), all done (ah ah ah d) but she knows a bunch of words...



Today I've started working with her on 'blow kisses'

She really likes to wear bowls, or Tupperware, on her head. Even if she can't see, she wants them on her head. She has also started eating really well. She loves salsa! I mean, big time loves salsa. She loves pinto beans and black eyed peas and olives...and ice cubes. The last couple of days for lunch she's had cheese & salsa quesadillas. Today she had tuna fish and she liked that a bunch.

She's so smart! I can ask her where just about any of her toys are and she'll find them (even Elmo and we had never even practiced Elmo's name!) and go show them to daddy. She's only 14 months but can already follow directions like a big girl. Of course, she's started getting into big girl trouble too...like unrolling rolls of toilet paper and shoving them into the toilet to watch mommy make them go 'bye bye'.

4 comments:

Noni - Popi said...

What a wonderful update - the pictures are so good and I love what you wrote - her progression is GREAT! We have a smart little girl and so happy. Keep them coming.

I love you guys so much,
Noni

Anonymous said...

The trip to the beach sure looked fun :) She's growing up sooo fast!
Miss Y'all

Katy said...

A bow wearing, olive eating, little bolin girl....I could not be happier! ha ha ha! she is just too cute!

Angie said...

This is from Charlotte's Kiki:

I agree with your thoughts on the vaccinations. I strongly feel they are the reason for a high increase of autism in the past years. I wonder if other countries are experiencing such an increase. Our generation didn't have to have all those shots that they make the little ones have now. And the symptoms for autism start occuring after the array of vaccines. But, the law & pharm. companies have their say. There was a couple from Atlanta who won a case concerning a component being used & now is not allowed in the vaccines.