Saturday, June 21, 2008

Deal Pickles

I read that an hour before toddler goes to bed, there is to be no rough-housing, no tv, no sweets...we tried that. The first night, it worked beautifully (we were thrilled). The second night, she was back to her old habits. 2 1/2 hours it took her to go to sleep. When she got 'rowdy' she got a warning then she got time out in the playpen. For the most part she lies quietly, rubs her feet all over my arms, hums, pokes me in the eye, twirls my hair...very gently annoys the bejesus out of me. She's 'behaving', I can't punish her for having a hard time going to sleep. I rub her feet, scratch her back, (she doesn't like me singing), read Goodnight Moon. ARGH! What's the deal pickle?!?! The biggest mystery is that she is out within 2 minutes of laying her down at nap time. Oh, I hope this is a stage that she'll grow out of.

I've started speaking Toddler-ese (http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/toddlers.html) to help try and soothe down Charlotte's tantrums. I feel like an idiot, maybe that will pass with practice. When she gets really upset, I'm suppose to get down at her level, mimic her facial expressions, repeat back to her, with all the sincerity I can muster, what I think she would be telling me if she could.

Mommy doesn't understand! I am mad mad mad! I want to walk all over town and search for kitty cats!!! Not after groceries are unloaded now now now!

YES! I do feel like a total idiot but so far...it's kind of working. I'm validating her feelings, letting her know I understand, and I'm sorry she is upset. We will go for a walk to look for cats after the groceries are unloaded and daddy is home. I swear, she's boom, up off the floor, tantrum finished, she's off and on her way (inside) to find something to do.

Oh, and Charlotte has heat rash. And she's tough as nails. We were walking, searching for kitty cats and she had on her cheap yard shoes and she tripped 5 times in 2 minutes and her knees were scratched and she was bleeding and she didn't even hesitate - back up, searching for cats.

No comments: